Monday, May 31, 2021

Progress with Pete and Noma

 So, if you have been reading this blog, you know about Pete and Noma. If you haven’t been keeping up with it, Noma and Pete are mother and son donkeys. They came from a kill pen back in December. They have been hard to get to open up. Pete had never been handled and I can only wish I knew Noma’s story. I’m sure it isn’t good. She is not trusting and neither is he. However, I’m not giving up. The other day, I was outside feeding and Noma stood there. I walked toward her and she didn’t move like she normally does. I was able to pet her nose. She then walked away. That’s okay, it’s progress. My husband was able to feed her treats from his hand which is a huge step. A couple days later, I was giving treats to the other donkeys, Pete being one of them. He sees the other 3 donkeys (Ned, Red, and Pedro) eating out of my hand and letting me pet them. So, he walks over and takes a treat from my hand and then another one. The progress is slow with them. It was getting better and then I had to separate them which caused things to slow down even more. I can see they want to trust us, but it’s hard for them to let their guard down. I’m not giving up and even the smallest progress is good progress with these two. One day they will understand we are not here to hurt them. They are here to stay regardless of what happens. 



2 comments: