Friday, August 28, 2020

Injury




 I go out to feed the pigs a couple of days ago and I see some scrapes on Brutus and on Pork Chop. I go out today and I see a small one on Darla. I was not sure what was going on. I knew it had to have been a scuffle between the pigs, but which one was causing it. I happen to look over today and see Russ opening his mouth. I was so shocked. He has his tusks. They are getting long enough to see. I thought he was too young for that. He has to be only a year or a year and a half. They are longer than what Gus has and he is a year older. I then remembered something. When a pig is not neutered, the tusks go in faster. He was fixed the day after we got him, but they must have already been growing by then. Now they can hurt the other pigs if he really wanted to. Luckily he normally gets along with the other pigs. It’s all over food when he goes after them. I will have to watch that growth on the tusks for sure and get them trimmed as soon as possible. They aren’t long enough yet to trim but they will be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment