Thursday, September 2, 2021

Sad Days

 Well, the last couple days have been hard around here. I know there is so much stuff going on in the world today that makes things hard and I know this is nothing compared to that. Around here, I do everything I can to make sure these animals have all they need. A couple of weeks ago I separated Ethel, an injured chicken into the coop to be by herself. I knew she wasn’t well and that she wouldn’t be here much longer. I was hoping she would get better and really she seemed to be doing well, until yesterday. Yesterday when I went in to give her food and fresh water, she was unable to get up at all. I am not sure what happened between the days because on Tuesday she was up moving around. Not Wednesday. She couldn’t move around. I picked her up and loved on her but I knew she was close. I didn’t expect her to make it through the night. She looked like she was turning really pale and she just couldn’t move around. This morning, Ronnie thought she was gone but when I went to check, she was still with us, though it wasn’t looking good. I knew she probably wouldn’t be here when I got home from work. At noon today I had an overwhelming urge to go home and check on her, but didn’t really have time to do that. I knew she was probably gone. When I got home, she had passed away. I am incredibly sad about Ethel’s death. My heart is broken. I also recognize she was suffering and it was time for her to go. That does not make it easier on me. Ronnie buried her for me this evening. I did everything I could and I think she knew that but tonight my heart is broken for Ethel. She was ready, I wasn’t. 



2 comments:

  1. Oh Shanna, I'm so sorry, I didn't know Ethel passed. You took good care of her, and gave her a good life when she was heređź’”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lucy!! I appreciate your words!! ❤️

    ReplyDelete