Tuesday, October 15, 2019

I missed some things about what you need to know about pigs yesterday with my blog post. These are also important things to know if you are thinking of getting a pig. They are different than dogs and cats. They have hooves that will need to be trimmed. They also will grow tusks that will need to be trimmed. They do grow for 5 years. They need vaccinations also. They do need a vet to treat them so find one in the area that knows about pigs. Not all of them do. I have an experience that I won’t go into but one of mine almost died because the vet didn’t know what to do. Pigs do need shelters in the winter and lots of straw to get into to stay warm. Pigs are social animals and they need to be with other animals, doesn’t always have to be another pig, but I think they do better with another animal of their kind. Pigs communicate with several different noises. They love to root in the dirt. That is what pigs do. They also get bored and when they are bored they can become destructive. They remember people and they know some words. Mine know the word no. They also wag their tails like crazy when I say I love you. They are susceptible to UTIs and constipation, they need lots of water. I have learned to keep antibiotics on hand just in case. They are incredible at knowing their human’s emotions. They sleep 9-12 hours a day. They also blow their coats, which is shedding all of their hair. They love to have pools and mud holes to stay cool, but they do use this as a bathroom because that is instinct in the wild for them. They do not like to be picked up and that is instinct also from being a prey animal. They also need to be wormed every 6 months or so. These animals are great pets, but research is needed for sure. I have learned from the pig groups I follow on Facebook and a couple of good friends that have helped me along the way. Please do research and know what you are getting into. They are work but they are worth it. And always rescue!!! The sanctuaries need it and so do all of the wonderful pigs they care for.


No comments:

Post a Comment