Saturday, February 27, 2021

Rehab for a Goat?




 oh Lucky!! Last weekend, Ronnie and I noticed Lucky couldn’t walk. I started stretching his legs in the front where he had the most difficulty. I would carry him out in the sun and had his water and hay next to him. He seemed to really enjoy the sun. By day 2 he was already trying to spin in circles. I haven’t had a lot of time this week due to getting off work so late, but I made sure to stretch those legs and at least get him to stand. Thursday, Ronnie was home and had put Lucky in the sun. I wasn’t able to see him at all on Friday. When Ronnie and I went out to feed this morning, Lucky was in a completely different area than he was. Apparently the hay was better in the other part of the building, so he made it over there...on his own. I opened the gate and stood him up. He is having a lot of difficulty with his right front leg, it isn’t straightening like it should so he is having difficulty with putting weight through that leg because of the decrease in range of motion. I stretched it some today. Lucky is using the back legs fine. So, I stood over him and moved his front legs while he moved the back legs. We did this for a while today. He was standing on his own, so I straightened my back up and he started walking without me. He did fall on his face a few times, but he was walking. We got over to the other pen and he sat down. I gave him fresh hay and water. He must have been getting hot because I looked over and he was turning in circles. I went over and stood him up again. He walked a bit and then fell. I decided to get him out of the sun. He started walking out of the gate. He found some fresh grass and ate for a little while. He then sat down half under the trailer, I’m guessing because he was hot. I grabbed him before he could get all the way under there. I pulled him out and stood him back up. He looked at me like he had had enough for today and he walked back to his spot in with the chickens and just laid down. He was not getting back up, he was tired. I left the gate opened and he didn’t move. I went back out a little while later and he was still in the same spot. We will keep working. This is a don’t give up situation. Believe you can do something and keep trying. Surround yourself with those who will help you and not give up on you. Thank you, Ashlea for reminding me of this. Thank you, Casey, for helping me in medicating this goat to get him better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment