Thursday, February 23, 2023

February 23

Today has been quite the day. Jeb was going in for surgery and Cracker Jack was going to the vet also. It was cooler outside this morning. I do not usually do much outside in the morning, but today I knew Ronnie was going to need some help. While he hitched up the trailer, I fed the animals. Once he got the trailer hitched and drove down to where Jeb was in a pen, we got to work. Jeb made it over to the trailer fine. Ronnie tied up the lead rope and we took turns trying to get him in the trailer. He was not going to go. After an hour, Ronnie told me to go get ready for work and he would wait for Jeb to load. Apparently we were in Jeb’s way because once we both moved, Jeb got right in the trailer. 


I had gone in and switched Cracker Jack and the sheep. The sheep were in the small part and Cra med was in the larger part so it would be easier to get him out to load him. I went in to get ready to go to work. Ronnie came in and said he could not get Cracker Jack to load. I’m not surprised. Cracker Jack is in his twenties and been in a trailer two times in his life, this would make the third. It looked like it was too tall for him to get in and that was the problem, so we picked him up and put him in the trailer. 


Now, while all of that was going on, the cows wanted to be up in the middle of things. Mattie wanted to be up in the middle of things. Onyx and Athena were in the middle of things. I’m surprised Onyx did not end up going to the vet also. She would not stay out of the trailer and once the trailer was loaded, that cat was on top of the trailer. 


The little goats happen to almost break out of their pen while we were working with Jeb. I’m telling you, everyone wants the attention on them. 


I went to work. Ronnie called me later and said Jeb was ready to go already. It looks like both testicles had dropped so it was an easy castration. That was awesome. Now, here is the other part. The vet said it looked like one of his teeth had been busted out and he had a laceration on his lip, so the vet took care of that and thank goodness it was a baby tooth. We have a strange suspicion Mattie is somehow involved in the missing tooth after trying to break Jeb out while he was in the pen. 


The vet was not sure about Cracker Jack yet. He had to stay overnight at the vet. My heart breaks for him. Ronnie said when he went to pick up Jeb, Cracker Jack was yelling at him like he didn’t want to be forgotten. I’m sure he hates it and he is there alone which is worse, but Cracker Jack is very sick so the vet needs to figure out what is wrong. The only thing I know at the moment is he still cannot urinate. He does have worms, which we had already started the treatment on and the vet did get him to have a bowel movement. That is good news. Hopefully she can figure out the rest and all will be good. 


Jeb is back in the pasture with the other horses but reintroductions are not fun. Of course they were all picking on him. He is sore and tired so he was not having any fun. They will be back to normal in a day or two. 


The sheep are acting a little out of sorts without Cracker Jack but I do hope he comes home tomorrow. 


I was so focused on Jeb and Cracker Jack today, I do not have any stories on anyone else. 
Maggie is not doing much better and she was really struggling with walking this evening. I do not want to have to make a decision on her, but I might have to. 


Oh, I did send the vet a note about the cats and the worms, so we got some prescription stuff for all the cats. Hopefully that will work and they will feel better also. There is never a dull moment here. 


Word of the day is healing. Jeremiah 33:6



No comments:

Post a Comment