Sunday, April 24, 2022

Mattie’s Mountain

I have a story for you. I have been feeling defeated lately after Pedro and his injury. We lost some baby chicks this morning. Some days around here are just hard. I know every one of us has a day or two like that every once in a while. This evening I was feeling stressed. The weather was looking like it was going to start pouring rain soon. I was late, of course since I work two jobs and worked both of them today. Ronnie wasn’t home yet since he works very long hours. I started to get busy with feeding and watering the animals. As I was checking the donkey’s water, a car pulls up. We don’t know too many people out here and I did not recognize the car. I thought they were lost. As a woman and a teenage boy got out of their car and she introduced herself and her son. The woman told me my husband had told them about the nonprofit we were starting and they wanted to get involved. She owns a business where we live. As she is talking, she looks up to the sky and she says she thought she would come introduce herself and her son and since it looked like it was going to rain, her son wanted to come help me and learn how to help us on the farm. Mind blown. This kid helped me with all the farm chores. I did give him an education on where we got most of the animals and where they came from. I gave him the low down why we are starting this. What I didn’t know at the time was he has an anxiety disorder. When we finished feeding and all of the chores. He was petting on the horses. When he was finished, he looked at me and said he liked it out here and he was excited to help us out. He said it was so peaceful here. I told him that was exactly what we were going for. Now, I have said all of that to say this, some days are extremely hard, but then you get a glimpse of what you started all of this for and you know you are doing the right thing. I am extremely grateful for this kid and his mom today. 

Update on my new farm hand. Let me tell you, I was so shocked when this kid and his mom showed up. The next day I had a friend over I had not seen in a while and she was helping me with the farm. Next thing I know, here this kid is again. I was not sure if he was coming by that day or not, but he showed up again and was already getting the hang of things. Do you know what a blessing that is?? Later when Ronnie got home, our new farm hand was here and so was my friend. Where were we?? With the horses of course. Horses have a way of helping with anxiety. Anyway. When they left, Ronnie told me the kid had told his mom how peaceful this place was and his anxiety did not bother him at all while he was here. Guys, this is the goal!! This is what we are doing this for. This is how we want to help these teens. I am amazed. In one day, the kid was already feeling at peace here with these animals. What does that say?? I say, see the beauty in the broken pieces around each and every one of us. We all have stuff we need to get rid of. We all have beauty around us, we just have to see it. This kid is going to start helping us 3 days a week and I am excited to see what comes of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment