Tuesday, June 25, 2019

A few days go by since Pork chop’s surgery. The temps outside were on the rise. Before I continue with this story, I want to remind you that I’m a new pig owner and I’m still doing research on them to be able to care for them in the way they need. These animals can get huge and live up to 20 years if cared for properly. Ok, on with the story. I was doing research on pigs and the heat. I knew pigs don’t sweat, so I was worried about the heat. I also knew that my husband wouldn’t be home for more than 2 weeks so I wasn’t sure what I was going to do. During my research, I found that pigs are at high risk for heat stroke in extreme heat. I started to panic. Then I got a wild hair and decided I would finish the pen myself. I called my husband and found out where all the stuff I needed was. I went to buy a medium size dog house because I knew I couldn’t build a shelter for them. I may be good, but I’m definitely not that good. I’m learning to do things on my own but I haven’t learned that yet. Anyway. I bought a dog house and a bigger thing for water so they could use it like a pool if they decided to. I got home and got to work. The gate was smashed in so I kicked it a time or two to get it to somewhat normal. Then I tried moving the railroad ties to put in front of the only part where they could get out because of a hole. Then I got discouraged because I wasn’t strong enough to move it at all. Then I got even more determined. It was 95 degrees outside and there was no air going through the kennel. They weren’t moving around much and were lethargic already. I remembered Ronnie saying to use a strap to move the railroad ties. I found the strap and got to work. You know what, I did it!!! I was able to move the railroad tie to where it needed to be!! I was so proud of myself. I rigged up the gate more so they couldn’t get out. I got the doghouse in the pen and put straw in it for them. Daisy got in the pen and rolled around so I knew she approved. Then I got the water and food for them. Now it was time to get the pigs in it. They didn’t know what to do!! They were so happy. Running around in the pen. I was so happy for them. And it was supposed to be hotter the next day so this happened at the best time. It was a great feeling for all of us.


No comments:

Post a Comment